Friday Stodge - aka Marmalade Pudding

What do you remember about the food
Rogernoble
Years attended: 1958-60
Best Single Memory: Beating Cranleigh at footbal

Friday Stodge - aka Marmalade Pudding

Post by Rogernoble »

Mrs Milton's delicious Friday stodge - aka Marmalade Pudding

As I was writing my recent blog I got to food. I was complaining of the horrors of tapioca, semolina etc. when I remembered Mrs Milton’s Friday treat of stodge (marmalade pudding?). If anyone has the recipe it clearly needs to go on the website together with any other culinary delights that come to mind.
Rogernoble
Years attended: 1958-60
Best Single Memory: Beating Cranleigh at footbal

Re: Friday Stodge - aka Marmalade Pudding

Post by Rogernoble »

“The Proof of the Pudding”

As many of you will have gathered I have for some years had an obsession about Mrs Milton’s delicious Friday Stodge, of which I had somehow mistakenly got the idea of marmalade pudding. Anyway in the September Newsletter I made a last despairing plea for help. Enter Simon Watson with the suggestion it was bread putting. I treated this with a certain amount of scepticism as my wife has treated me regularly for the last fifty one years with a lovely bread putting based on a recipe handed down from her mother. It is however a lovely golden brown and did not resemble Mrs Milton’s darker creation. Anyway I put on my Sherlock Holme hat and started to investigate. The first stop was the font of all knowledge, that it is her indoors, who informed me that some people add dark syrup or molasses. She told me to look in our local bakers next time I was passing. This I did and the scales fell from my eyes as I looked at the spitting image of Friday Stodge. I bought a piece and I found myself going back sixty years with a big grin on my face. A big thank you to Simon and of course dear old Mrs Milton.